Current postgraduate taught students
COMP60242: Mobile Computing (2007-2008)
Understanding of concepts underlying current developments in mobile communications and wireless computer networks.
1. Understanding of the systems, protocols and mechanisms needed to support mobility in communications and computing equipment such as mobile phones, portable computers and PDA's. (A1,A2)
2. Understanding of the issues involved and techniques used in the design of Medium Access Control (MAC) protocols for wireless networks (A1,A2).
3. Understanding of digital transmission methods, radio propagation and the effects of radio interference. (A1,A2)
4. Practical experience and analysis of the effects of radio interference on transmissions between a wireless LAN access point and a mobile computer, and the effectiveness of bit-error control methods (A1,A2,B1,C1,C2,D4).
5. The experience of using an industrial standard network simulation package, such as OPNET(B1,C1,C2,D4)
Assessment of Learning outcomesAll the outcomes are assessed partly through the outcome of a practical project and partly by a written examination.
Contribution to Programme Learning OutcomesA1,A2, B1,C1,C2,D4
Introduction to wireless networking & mobile communications.
Protocols supporting mobility.
Application layer issues: multimedia, VoIP & VoWLAN.
Network & transport layer issues: Mobile-IP & Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP). Mobile-TCP, indirect-TCP & Wireless Application Protocol (WAP).
Security in mobile computing.
Medium Access Control (MAC) issues: MAC protocols for digital cellular systems such as GSM & wireless LANs. Near-far effect. Hidden and exposed terminals. Collision avoidance (RTS-CTS) protocols.
Error control in data-link layer.
Digital modulation & transmission
Radio propagation & antennae
Core TextTitle: Mobile communications (2nd edition)
Author: Schiller, Jochen
Publisher: Pearson Education Limited
Supplementary TextTitle: Computer networks (5th edition)
Author: Tanenbaum, Andrew S. and David Wetherall
Publisher: Prentice Hall
Supplementary TextTitle: Wireless communications: principles and practice (2nd edition)
Author: Rappaport, Theodore S.
Publisher: Pearson Education (US)