COMP30040 Third Year Project Laboratory syllabus 2017-2018
The aims for the project work done in the third year are:
- To manage and execute a substantial project in a limited time.
- To identify and learn whatever new skills are needed to complete the project.
- To apply design and engineering skills in the accomplishment of a single task. In this context the skills mentioned may be in the general area of design and engineering in its broadest sense, or may be very specifically related to particular tools.
The formal lectures for the course take place during Welcome Week at the beginning of the academic year. The times are shown in the details panel.
Students are required to produce six deliverables during the year including some coursework during Welcome Week. Details are on the Third Year Project (COMP30040 materials) web pages.
6 hours in total, all in Welcome Week
Feedback methodsCopies of structured marking sheets returned to students
- Assessment practical exam (1 hours)
- Lectures (7 hours)
- Project supervision (20 hours)
- Analytical skills
- Project management
- Oral communication
- Problem solving
- Written communication
|Programme outcome||Unit learning outcomes||Assessment|
|B1 B2 B3 C1 C2 C3||Planned, executed and completed a significant design and, as appropriate, investigation or implementation within the time budget available.|
|D1 D2 D3 D4 D5||Used the project supervisor appropriately as project consultant or customer.|
|C1 C2 C3||Given a seminar which justifies the project.|
|C1 C2 C3||Given a presentation of results (e.g. a software demonstration) showing practical competence and demonstrating the results of the project.|
|C1 C2 C3||Documented the project in a final report.|
|Projects in computing and information systems: a student's guide (3rd edition)||Dawson, Christian||9781292073460||Addison Wesley||2015||✖|
|Elements of style (2014 edition)||Strunk Jr., William||9781499142235||Amazon||2014||✖|
Course unit materials
Links to course unit teaching materials can be found on the School of Computer Science website for current students.