COMP83020 Preparing for your Final Year syllabus 2021-2022
The unit is intended to get students ready for thesis submission and oral examination. It also provides the PGRs with the tools to be able to interact with a non-technical audience.
The unit aims to give the PGR the skills to be able to understand the work they have left, effectively plan their time, prepare their thesis, and undertake their viva.
- Practical classes & workshops (20 hours)
• Explain the elements of a good Thesis.
• Describe what makes good Viva.
• Summarise their contributions and impact.
• Understand their responsibilities relating to thesis submission.
• Demonstrate how to structure a CompSci focused thesis.
• Demonstrate how to structure a CompSci focused oral viva.
• Create an PhD Thesis.
• Create a PGR Presentation for a Viva
• Demonstrate how to effectively answer questions that may come up in a viva.
• Define and Organise a set of Talking Points to accompany a viva.
• Able to create a maintain a reasonable and realistic plan for completion.
• Textually compose complex academic information.
• Verbally disseminate a series of complex research concepts as would be found in an academic presentation.
• Convey a complex system / ideas / rationale / contribution / research questions using text and graphics.
|How to get your phd : a handbook for the journey||Brown, Gavin,||9780198866923||Oxford University Press||2021.|