COMP23412 Software Engineering 2 syllabus 2021-2022
In this course unit students work in teams to build their own web application, with a focus on architecture, planning, and meeting requirements through extensive testing. Students will get to grips with the Model-View-Controller architecture through the Spring web framework, integrating functionality from Twitter and Google maps, and developing their own API.
This course unit detail provides the framework for delivery in 20/21 and may be subject to change due to any additional Covid-19 impact. Please see Blackboard / course unit related emails for any further updates.
By the end of the course unit students will be able to:
- Work in a team to deliver a new software product.
- Implement a robust architecture for a web application.
- Understand and break down requirements.
- Ensure acceptance tests are met through unit and integration tests.
- Work with APIs.
Working with the Model-View-Controller architecture User interface design Data modelling Specification by example Unit and integration testing Internal APIs Consuming REST APIs Providing a REST API
The course unit is entirely lab-based. The first 30 minutes is a lecture/demonstration, the remaining 1.5 hours is a chance to apply the techniques in practice in assessed coursework, with the support of lecturers and TAs.
1 lecture each week
2 hour lab each week
1 hour team study sessions
Use of online quizzes
Feedback is provided on a continuous basis; as students implement requirements, they can check that these meet client expectations in the lab each week.
- Practical classes & workshops (20 hours)
- Work based learning (2 hours)
On successful completion of this unit, a student will be able to:
- Apply the ‘golden rules’ of user interface design to a web application
- Design a data model to efficiently represent entities and relationships within a software system
- Map from acceptance tests to unit and integration tests to ensure a system meets specifications and is robust against regression
- Use and develop REST APIs
- In a team, design and develop a library to provide common functionality to multiple software projects
No reading list found for COMP23412.
Course unit materials
Links to course unit teaching materials can be found on the School of Computer Science website for current students.