COMP82020 Preparing Papers and Presentations syllabus 2021-2022
The unit is intended to give students an introduction to writing Computer Science centric papers while taking into account REF as an example of good practice when writing journal or conference papers. And then give them the ability to present their work at conference either in person or remotely.
The unit aims to:
Give the PGR the skills to be able to write a ‘REF Aware’ Journal and Conference paper and then present it.
- Lectures (20 hours)
- Explain the elements of a good paper.
- describe the core aspects of a presentation and how they affect the understanding
- Summarise how a paper and a presentation fits together.
- Distinguish their responsibilities in relation to paper authoring.
- Demonstrate how to critically read a paper.
- Judge the value of a paper based on this critical reading.
- Demonstrate how to structure a CompSci focused academic paper.
- Demonstrate how to structure a CompSci focused presentation.
- Given a set of information determine the most important for a presentation.
- Prepare the storyline and slides for a presentation on their research keeping in mind the core aspects
- Give a clear presentation on their research that follows good practice in the core aspects
- Create a conference or journal paper.
- Demonstrate how to link a presentation to a paper.
- Textually compose complex academic information.
- Describe the core aspects of a presentation and how they affect the understanding
- Convey a complex system / ideas / rationale / contribution / research questions using text and graphics.
No reading list found for COMP82020.