COMP38211 Documents and Data on the Web syllabus 2019-2020
This course unit will enable students to explore principles and techniques that underpin the web, and to investigate how these are applied to provide webs of documents and data. In so doing, the concepts and standards associated with resource identification, access, indexing, classification/categorisation and scalability will be introduced, along with recurring functionalities such as publication and search.
NB This 10CR course is a reduced version of the 20CR course COMP38120 Documents, Services and Data on the Web, and will replace that course from Academic Year 2019-20.
This course unit is aimed at providing insights into and experience of techniques relating to searching and retrieving documents and data on the web. Fundamental drivers, concepts and techniques for using and maintaining the web of documents and data are presented and discussed in workshop settings, while techniques in practice are applied and evaluated in the laboratory.
Lectures, workshops, coursework, face to face mentoring by TAs.
- Lectures (22 hours)
- Practical classes & workshops (6 hours)
On successful completion of this unit, a student will be able to:
At the end of this course a student will be able to:
- identify the key properties of web architectures and standards
- identify key challenges in indexing and searching documents and data available on the web
- discuss how key web properties have been applied to the document web, and distinguish between different techniques for document indexing, classification/categorisation and search
- discuss how key web properties have been applied to the web of data, and demonstrate how they underpin data publication and consumption
- apply and evaluate techniques employed in cloud services, within the context of tasks dealing with data and document webs
No reading list found for COMP38211.
Indicative Reading List
Manning, Raghavan and Schutze (2008) Introduction to information retrieval, ISBN:9780521865715
Lin and Dyer (2010) Data-intensive text processing with MapReduce, ISBN:9781608453429
Miner and Shook (2012) MapReduce design patterns: building effective algorithms and analytics for Hadoop and other systems, ISBN:9781449327170
Williams (2012) Economics of cloud computing: an overview for decision makers, ISBN:9781587143069
Heath and Bizer (2011) Linked data: evolving the web into a global data space, ISBN:9781608454303