COMP30040 Third Year Project Laboratory syllabus 2020-2021
This course unit detail provides the framework for delivery in 20/21 and may be subject to change due to any additional Covid-19 impact. Please see Blackboard / course unit related emails for any further updates.
The aims for the project work done in the third year are:
- To manage and execute a substantial project in a limited time.
- To identify and learn whatever new skills are needed to complete the project.
- To apply design and engineering skills in the accomplishment of a single task. In this context the skills mentioned may be in the general area of design and engineering in its broadest sense, or may be very specifically related to particular tools.
The formal lectures for the course take place during Welcome Week at the beginning of the academic year. The times are shown in the details panel.
Students are required to produce six deliverables during the year including some coursework during Welcome Week. Details are on the Third Year Project (COMP30040 materials) web pages.
Planning and Execution 10%
6 hours in total, all in Welcome Week
Feedback methodsCopies of structured marking sheets returned to students
- Assessment practical exam (1 hours)
- Lectures (7 hours)
- Project supervision (20 hours)
- Analytical skills
- Project management
- Oral communication
- Problem solving
- Written communication
On successful completion of this unit, a student will be able to:
- Plan and execute a substantial programme of technical work.
- Evaluate your own knowledge and skills with respect to a given plan, and be able to formulate a study plan to fill gaps
- Analyse and evaluate existing material related to your work and describe your work in this context
- Evaluate the work of others and give constructive feedback
- Identify, use and credit public resources (including definitions and source code) as appropriate
- Define tests and measures that allow you to evaluate your own work
- Reflect on technical approaches and identify strengths and weaknesses
- Analyse your work in order to identify ethical and security issues
- Communicate plans and achievements clearly and concisely orally, visually and in written form
|Project management||Portny, Stanley E. (Stanley Erwin), author.||1119348900||John Wiley & Sons, Inc.||2017|
|The elements of style||Strunk, William, 1869-1946.||9780486113708||[CreateSpace]|||
Course unit materials
Links to course unit teaching materials can be found on the School of Computer Science website for current students.