Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer
Menu
Menu
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Monday, 01 August 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Research School Irregular

    Free Drinks!!

    Hey everyone,

    Hope you are all enjoying your summer!

    We are hosting a social event on Friday 12th August at 5 pm in the PGR common room, where we will be serving snacks and alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks. This will be our last social event for this academic year, so we hope you can all join us if you are in Manchester :D

    We look forward to seeing you all!

    All the best,
    The Mentors

    gravatar Martina Ruocco

    [ top ]Owning Your Research Project

    Shut Up and Write

    Join us for a no-distractions writing session every Thursday, 3:00-5:00 pm in Kilburn 2.41.

    After a short break over the pandemic(!), SUAW is back in a new weekly slot.
    Next Session: Thursday 28th July, 3 -  5 pm
    Location: Kilburn 2.41

    What is Shut Up and Write?
    This is a no-distractions space to foster a short period of focused writing. Write reports, blogs, grants, papers, poems, whatever. No-one will see what you’ve written, no judgement, just a block of focused writing time.

    Schedule
    3:00.   Settling time and set the goals
    3:05.   First 25 minute writing block. No chat.
    3:30.   5 minute break. Stretch and refocus.
    3:35.   Second 25 minute writing block. No chat.
    4:00.   Repeat for the next hour...
    5:00.   The end. Chat, leave or keep writing.

    Need regular reminders?
    Kilburn-SUAW@listserv.manchester.ac.uk
    To subscribe: https://listserv.manchester.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A0=KILBURN-SUAW

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Jobs and Internships

    UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships - Round 7 internal process and timeline

    UKRI have published the deadline for UKRI Future Leaders Fellowships – Round 7 call. The deadline for outline applications is Tuesday 18th October 2022.
    Departments are asked to submit application(s) to the faculty internal review byMonday 5th September 2022.
    Applications will then be reviewed by a Faculty panel, before those deemed to be the most competitive will be passed on to a central University panel. The big change from Round 6 is that institutions are restricted to a set number of bids – we have been allocated the maximum number of 10, but this is still far fewer than we have submitted in previous rounds.
    UKRI deadline for submitting Full Applications on JeS  is 6th December 2022.
    INTERNAL REVIEW PROCESS
    1.       The Heads of Dept (or RSM) to email the following documents for each of the prospective applicants to Daniel Twiddy  (daniel.twiddy@manchester.ac.uk) on or before Monday 5th September 2022.
    Departments are asked to rank applications if submitting more than one application.
    ·         CV in the format of the scheme template (attached) – max 2 pages
    ·         Outline proposal (attached) - max 2 pages)
     
    2.       Faculty panel will review the outline proposals/ CVs and rank the applications. The panel will provide feedback to Depts. on which candidates will be supported for submission to UKRI and confirm the process for obtaining institutional support letters. 
    Applicants whose proposals have been approved by the Central review should liaise with the Research Services hubs to organise costing and submission on JeS.
    Further information on the scheme can be found here
     
    gravatar Simon Harper

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Tuesday, 12 July 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Research School Irregular

    PGR Summer Slowdown

    Just a note to remind you that the Summer is with us. In this case, many Professional Services, Academic Staff, Mentors and GTAs will be taking holidays or having meeting-free weeks as the University, School, and Department encourage. Most of the PGR committees and panels in the Department and Faculty will not reconvene until September. And one holiday may very well have knock-on delays as different people in the pipeline have consecutive holidays etc.

    In this case, get anything important to us in the next week and after this please expect a reduced throughput from the PGR crew over the summer.

    Please make sure you take some time to relax as well!

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Health and Wellbeing

    Computer Science Summer Bash - tomorrow the 13th from 4pm

    Please join us!

    We are having a Summer Bash so we can come together to celebrate. It's been a long, hard time since our last summer do, so we should  celebrate together.  Please do come and have a beer or a glass of wine and mingle with colleagues and hopefully enjoy the sunshine.  We will provide some drinks (both alcoholic and soft) and pizza but do bring a bottle too.

    This will be Robert's last public appearance as Head of Department – so it’s a special thankyou to Robert for two terms as Head!  We have also invited those colleagues who left as lockdown happened as we could not get together - to mark their departure – so we hope they can make it this time

    Date: Wednesday 13th July from 4pm (after the Dept Forum)

     

    gravatar Simon Harper

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Thursday, 07 July 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Research School Irregular

    Computer Science Summer Bash - Wednesday 13th July from 4pm

    Please join us!

    We are having a Summer Bash so we can come together to celebrate. It's been a long, hard time since our last summer do, so we should  celebrate together.  Please do come and have a beer or a glass of wine and mingle with colleagues and hopefully enjoy the sunshine.  We will provide some drinks (both alcoholic and soft) and pizza but do bring a bottle too.

    This will be Robert's last public appearance as Head of Department – so it’s a special thankyou to Robert for two terms as Head!  We have also invited those colleagues who left as lockdown happened as we could not get together - to mark their departure – so we hope they can make it this time

    Date: Wednesday 13th July from 4pm (after the Dept Forum)

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Wider Research Community

    Register now: Informatics Training Scheme 2022 Launch Workshop

    The Informatics training scheme (ITS) offered by Translation Manchester allows you to enrol in units (up to two units per application) within the postgraduate taught offer in SBS and SHS within FBMH. This is a great opportunity for you to gain training in bioinformatics and biostatistics. Details about the scheme can be found on our website. We will be hosting an online launch workshop about the scheme on the 12th July, 2022, 11:00am.
    This workshop will provide an overview of the scheme and the course units on offer. Potential applicants will have the opportunity to discuss their course unit choices with teaching staff and the Translational Manchester team. To find out more about the new schemes, and to reserve a place to the workshop, please register
    here

     

    Please note –The Informatics Training Scheme is open to researchers across all three faculties of The University of Manchester. PhD students, Post-Doctoral researchers, PIs and research technicians are all invited to apply. The applicant's contract of employment or studentship should extend beyond completion of the proposed training module. Applicants must discuss their training requirements with the Translation Manchester team (translation@manchester.ac.uk) prior to application to ensure their chosen course unit(s) are appropriate.

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Tuesday, 28 June 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Research School Irregular

    Peripherals for PGR Laptop users

    If you are a PGR with a University laptop then you can apply for peripherals to go with it. Your supervisor must attest that no spare peripherals exist within the research group.

    You can get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, monitor adapter (if required) and laptop riser.

    To request these peripherals just fill out the online form.

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Seminars and Networks

    SEFM Summer School 2022, 21.9.-24.9., Berlin, Germany

    the SEFM Summer School 2022, affiliated with the SEFM Conference 2022 in Berlin, Germany. The school addresses various topics of software engineering of dependable systems, their verification, how to guarantee their security, and how to design autonomous and self-adaptive systems.

    At the SEFM Summer School, four internationally renowned researchers will present courses that provide an introduction, an overview of current techniques, and perspectives within their areas of specialisation for PhD students in Computer Science, namely:

     Dirk Beyer (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany):

    Software Verification

     Eduard Enoiu (Mälardalen University, Sweden):

    Security Testing

     Michael Fisher (University of Manchester, UK):

    Design and Verification of Reliable Autonomous Systems

     Danny Weyns (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium; and Linnaeus University Sweden):

    Designing Self-adaptive Systems

     You can find more details on these courses on the Summer School’s Web Page

    https://sefm-summerschool-22.github.io

    The Summer School will happen 21.9. - 24.9.2022, the week just before the SEFM main conference. Fees are €500 per student (including lunches, refreshments, and a Summer School dinner).

    Please be so kind as to encourage your students to participate, and to distribute this call to possibly interested people.

    gravatar Simon Harper

    UK Fluids Network

    At a recent meeting the UK Fluids Network decided that we would shift the focus of the Talks page away from upcoming talks to recorded talks, expanding the available seminars/webinars as much as we can. Since Covid and the advent of Zoom, there has clearly been a seismic shift in how seminars are run, and the number of recorded talks may now be large. So there is a lot of potential here, but we will need help from the community.

    As a first step, we want to get a better idea of which universities and departments hold regular fluids-themed seminars, and the potential for getting recordings of these talks online. I thought it would be good to start close to home, as it were, with EC members' institutions, so I'd be very grateful if you could provide any info on the following:
     
    - which groups or departments at Manchester hold regular fluids seminars?
    - who are the organisers?
    - are the seminars recorded?
    - are any recordings online, e.g. YouTube?
     

    The ultimate goal would be to have a large searchable list of fluids seminars from as many UK universities as possible on the website. This could become a valuable resource for the fluids community, especially for students.

    Send Email to Matthias Heil if you would like to be included.

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Wider Research Community

    PGR Open Forum Meeting - Monday July 4th at 12:00 - 13:00 (GMT)

    Dear all,

     

    All postgraduate researchers in the Faculty of Science and Engineering are invited to attend the next FSE PGR Open Forum Meeting taking place on Monday 4th July 2022 at 12:00 – 13:00 (GMT).

     

    Join Zoom Meeting:
    https://zoom.us/j/94618973140

    Meeting ID: 946 1897 3140
    Passcode: 294776

     

    Prof Scott Heath (FSE Associate Dean for Postgraduate and Early Career Researchers) will be joined by colleagues to discuss the latest updates and answer any questions you may have.

     

    We very much hope that you can join us and would like to encourage you to submit your questions ahead of the meeting to epsgraded@manchester.ac.uk by midday on Friday 1st July.

     

    You will also be able to submit questions during the session on the Zoom text chat.

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Wednesday, 15 June 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Research School Irregular

    CS PGR Mentors: FREE Pizza and Drinks!!! (17th Jun)

    There will be another social PGR event on June 17th. 🍕🥤

    We will start with pizza (we have ordered more this time!) at 5 in Atlas 1 and drinks will be served in the PGR common room.  As usual, there are non-alcoholic drinks and vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free pizzas available.

    This event will have a summer theme and we have bought some summer-themed drinks and activities for all of you to enjoy!

    We hope all of you can join us for another fun event 😁😁😁

    The mentors

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Wider Research Community

    Hugo Lefeuvre wins the Manchester Doctoral College (MDC) Excellence Award

    Hugo Lefeuvre has won the Manchester Doctoral College (MDC) Excellence Award for Best Outstanding Output in the Faculty of Science and Engineering 2021/22! Very well done to Hugo!

    Hugo's paper is entitled “FlexOS: Towards Flexible OS Isolation”. It presents a prototype Operating System (OS) that decouples the isolation/safety strategy from the design of the OS, providing several modular, fne-grained components that can be specialized to various hardware/software protection mechanisms. More info in the paper (https://arxiv.org/pdf/2112.06566.pdf) and on the website (https://project-flexos.github.io/).

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]PGR Mentors

    Having Problems or Need Clarifications, Direction or Support? PGR to PGR Drop in Sessions (F2F)

    For support, advice, clarification, help - anything at all PGR related. We have a PGR to PGR drop-in session running every Monday until the 01st August 2022 from 14:00-15:00 in 2.41 Kilburn Building (next to the 2.33 conference room).

    Drop in for a face-to-face meeting about anything PGR you like (nothing too small - nothing too large). If the mentors can't help we know who can.

    gravatar Simon Harper

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Monday, 30 May 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Wider Research Community

    PGR Open Forum Meeting - Wednesday June 8th

    All postgraduate researchers in the Faculty of Science and Engineering are invited to attend the next FSE PGR Open Forum Meeting taking place on Wednesday 8th June 2022 at 12:00 – 13:00.

     

    Please find the Zoom link:
    https://zoom.us/j/92404830758

    Meeting ID: 924 0483 0758
    Passcode: 234643

     

    Prof Scott Heath (FSE Associate Dean for Postgraduate and Early Career Researchers) will be joined by colleagues to discuss the latest updates and answer any questions you may have.

    We very much hope that you can join us and would like to encourage you to submit your questions ahead of the meeting to epsgraded@manchester.ac.uk by midday on Monday 6th June.

    You will also be able to submit questions during the session on the Zoom text chat.

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    Open Research Accelerator Fund

    Dear PGRs,

    Following the launch of the Office for Open Research on the 4 April, we are making funds available for the development of open research practice at the University of Manchester, and we would like to encourage funding applications from all UoM staff and Postgraduate Research Students across the University.

    The Office hopes to be able to fund projects in two broad areas:

    • Innovations in open practice
    • Developing Open Research skills

    The deadline for applications is 3 June.

    In total, around £27,000 is available. Our expectation is that the majority of awards made will be under £2,000. Larger sums will be considered on a case-by-case basis in consultation with Andrew Stewart, Institutional Lead for Open and Reproducible Research. Where awards are made, they must be spent by the end of this financial year.

    Proposals should be submitted via email to openresearch@manchester.ac.uk and consider the following areas:

    • A breakdown of the estimated costs of the project/activity
    • What the project/activity will achieve and how this relates to open research
    • How this will contribute to meaningful and sustainable culture change at The University of Manchester

    For more information visit https://www.openresearch.manchester.ac.uk/projects/accelerator-fund/ or contact openresearch@manchester.ac.uk directly.

    The Open Research Team looks forward to hearing from you and your colleagues.

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    Join us to discuss teaching programming to Physics students on Monday 13th June at 2pm BST

    print('Hello World!')is all very well but it doesn't help physics students solve the Schrödinger equation. Join us for our next journal club meeting on Monday 13th June at 2pm BST where we'll be discussing a paper by Lloyd Cawthorne on teaching programming to undergraduate Physics students [1]. From the abstract:

    Computer programming is a key component of any physical science or engineering degree and is a skill sought by employers. Coding can be very appealing to these students as it is logical and another setting where they can solve problems. However, many students can often be reluctant to engage with the material as it might not interest them or they might not see how it applies to their wider study. Here, I present lessons I have learned and recommendations to increase participation in programming courses for students majoring in the physical sciences or engineering. The discussion and examples are taken from my second-year core undergraduate physics module, Introduction to Programming for Physicists, taught at The University of Manchester, UK. Teaching this course, I have developed successful solutions that can be applied to undergraduate STEM courses.

    All welcome. As usual we’ll be meeting on zoom, details are in the slack channel sigcse.cs.manchester.ac.uk/join-us.

    References

    1. Lloyd Cawthorne (2021) Invited viewpoint: teaching programming to students in physical sciences and engineering, Journal of Materials Science 56, pages 16183–16194 DOI:10.1007/s10853-021-06368-1
    gravatar Duncan Hull

    [ top ]Jobs and Internships

    EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowship 2022/23 - Call for Applications

    FSE are now accepting applications from PhD researchers for the EPSRC Doctoral Prize Fellowships 2022/23.

    Application Deadline

    Interviews

    Project Start Date

    Eligible PhD Thesis Submission Dates

    Friday 26 August 2022

    September 2022

    1 October 2022 – 31 January 2023 OR 1 April 2023 – 31 July 2023

    31 March 2022 – 31 July 2023

    The EPSRC Doctoral Prize is a prestigious scheme aimed at developing the very best EPSRC funded students beyond the end of their PhD and help them launch a successful career in research as potential future research leaders.

    Successful applicants will be expected to take their research to the next level and undertake significant new research; the Prize must not be viewed merely as an opportunity to continue/complete PhD work although continuation of specific work from the applicants’ PhD that will result in publications may be permitted.

    Successful applicants will be appointed to Grade 6 point 29 (£33,309 per annum) on the UoM salary scale.

    Please note that there are strict eligibility criteria for these Fellowships, for further details, and information on how to apply please go to https://www.se.manchester.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-research/funding/doctoral-prize-fellowships/.

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    [ top ]Health and Wellbeing

    Counselling and Mental Health Service Summer Programme 2022

    Details of the Counselling and Mental Health Service's summer workshop programme are attached. You can book on to these sessions at their website

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Friday, 29 April 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Owning Your Research Project

    Sustainable travel tips for postgraduate researchers

    It’s estimated that a typical PhD student will accrue around 4.5 tonnes of CO₂ emissions in travel over four years. That’s the equivalent to leaving a desktop PC running non-stop for 28 years! If you’re planning to travel in the coming months, take a look at the Sustainable Travel Recommendations for some top sustainable travel tips.

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    [ top ]Seminars and Networks

    Join us to discuss spatial skills in engineering on Monday 9th May at 2pm BST

    Spatial skills can be beneficial in engineering and computing, but what are they and why are they useful? Join us to discuss this via a paper on spatial skills training by Jack Parkinson and friends at the University of Glasgow [1]. Here is the abstract:
     

    We have been training spatial skills for Computing Science students over several years with positive results, both in terms of the students’ spatial skills and their CS outcomes. The delivery and structure of the training has been modified over time and carried out at several institutions, resulting in variations across each intervention. This article describes six distinct case studies of training deliveries, highlighting the main challenges faced and some important takeaways. Our goal is to provide useful guidance based on our varied experience for any practitioner considering the adoption of spatial skills training for their students.

    All welcome. As usual we’ll be meeting on zoom, details are in the slack channel sigcse.cs.manchester.ac.uk/join-us. Thanks to Steven Bradley for suggesting the paper.

    (CC BY-SA licensed image of a Rubik’s cube via by Booyabazooka Wikimedia Commons w.wiki/He9)

    References

    1. Jack Parkinson, Ryan Bockmon, Quintin Cutts, Michael Liut, Andrew Petersen and Sheryl Sorby (2021) Practice report: six studies of spatial skills training in introductory computer science, ACM Inroads Volume 12, issue 4, pp 18–29 DOI: 10.1145/3494574
    gravatar Duncan Hull

    [ top ]Wider Research Community

    The Postgraduate Summer Research Showcase returns for its 7th year on Thursday 16th June 2022!

    Postgraduate researchers from across the University will once again come together to share their research and potentially win one of three £350 prizes!

    Sign up if you want to…

    • Showcase your research to peers and those outside of your discipline;
    • Network with postgraduate researchers and academics from across the University;
    • Practice your research poster design and presenting skills

    In addition to the main poster exhibition, the showcase will feature the “Research in action” image competition open to all postgraduates (taught and research) with prizes up to £150.

    The event will conclude with the MDC Excellence and Showcase Awards.

    Get involved and submit your poster abstract or Research in Action image by Monday 9th May 2022 at http://www.psrs.manchester.ac.uk/participate/

    Visit the showcase website for further details and guidelines. If you have any questions about the showcase or the submission process, please contact psrs@manchester.ac.uk

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    [ top ]PGR Mentors

    Friday Social Event (6th of May)

    Welcome back to Kilburn!!

    We will be hosting our first Friday social event on the 6th of May (yay, finally!! xD). Come join us in the Common Room at 5 pm for some drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and music. There will be pizza (hopefully😂🤞) being served from 6 pm in Atlas 1 with vegan and gluten-free options available.

    We look forward to seeing you all 🤩🥳
    Oh, and an early “Happy Eid!” wish to all who celebrate :)

    The mentors (Kiana, Martina, Mollie, Ruba, Sara)

    gravatar Simon Harper

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Monday, 28 March 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Research School Irregular

    Kilburn Rodent Problem

    We have a Mice problem in Kilburn again.  Whilst Estates are tackling the issue with a pest control contractor, they have advised that it will almost be impossible to stop unless occupants keep foodstuffs out of their reach.  So please make sure to not leave any food sources out in the building, and to please keep any foodstuffs in sealed containers/cupboards/fridges etc.

    We will be doing building walkarounds periodically - and foodstuffs that are left out and not in a sealed container may be disposed of. As we all make a return to campus we are reviewing how we handle the reporting of Estates issues and also how we handle requests for certain things relating to our offices and environment.  The Ops team are picking up a lot of these types of issues so we have created a mechanism to capture the information in a way that makes it easy to monitor and also to pass on if appropriate.

    Department of Computer Science - Estates Issues -Report and Requests

    Please use this to report estates issues - for example - temperature too hot/cold, things being broken, ceiling tiles broken in corridor, mics issue etc.

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Seminars and Networks

    Join us to discuss the feeling of learning (vs. actual learning) on Monday 4th April at 2pm GMT

    Learning can be an emotional process and we often don’t realise when we are actually learning. When you’re listening to an expert explain something well, it’s easy to mistake the speaker’s smooth delivery for your own understanding. You might feel like you’re learning, but actual learning is often hard work and feels uncomfortable. Join us to discuss actual learning vs. feeling of learning via a paper by Louis Deslauriers, Logan S. McCarty, Kelly Miller, Kristina Callaghan, and Greg Kestin at Harvard University here is the abstract:

    We compared students’ self-reported perception of learning with their actual learning under controlled conditions in large-enrollment introductory college physics courses taught using 1) active instruction (following best practices in the discipline) and 2) passive instruction (lectures by experienced and highly rated instructors). Both groups received identical class content and handouts, students were randomly assigned, and the instructor made no effort to persuade students of the benefit of either method. Students in active classrooms learned more (as would be expected based on prior research), but their perception of learning, while positive, was lower than that of their peers in passive environments. This suggests that attempts to evaluate instruction based on students’ perceptions of learning could inadvertently promote inferior (passive) pedagogical methods. For instance, a superstar lecturer could create such a positive feeling of learning that students would choose those lectures over active learning. Most importantly, these results suggest that when students experience the increased cognitive effort associated with active learning, they initially take that effort to signify poorer learning. That disconnect may have a detrimental effect on students’ motivation, engagement, and ability to self-regulate their own learning. Although students can, on their own, discover the increased value of being actively engaged during a semester-long course, their learning may be impaired during the initial part of the course. We discuss strategies that instructors can use, early in the semester, to improve students’ response to being actively engaged in the classroom.

    Thanks to Uli Sattler and Andrea Schalk for highlighting the paper. All welcome. As usual we’ll be meeting on zoom, details are in the slack channel sigcse.cs.manchester.ac.uk/join-us.

    References

    1. Logan S. McCarty; Kelly Miller; Kristina Callaghan; Greg Kestin (2019) “Measuring actual learning versus feeling of learning in response to being actively engaged in the classroom”Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America: 201821936. DOI:10.1073/PNAS.1821936116 PMC: 6765278 
    2. Jill Barshay (2022) College students often don’t know when they’re learning: Harvard experiment reveals the psychological grip of lectures, The Hechinger Report
    gravatar Duncan Hull

    [ top ]Wider Research Community

    PGR Open Forum - April 4th 12:00 - 13:00 (GMT)

    All postgraduate researchers in the Faculty of Science and Engineering are invited to attend the next FSE PGR Open Forum Meeting taking place on Monday 4th April from 12:00 – 13:00.

     

    Please find the Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/91209669293

     

    Prof Scott Heath (FSE Associate Dean for Postgraduate and Early Career Researchers) to discuss the latest updates and answer your questions.

    We hope that you can join us and would like to encourage you to again submit your questions ahead of the meeting to epsgraded@manchester.ac.uk by midday on Friday 1st April.

    You will also be able to submit questions during the session on the Zoom text chat.

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    Thank you to Professor Ian Cotton

    Dear staff and post-graduate researchers across the School of Engineering,

    Professor Ian Cotton took on the role of Head of Research for the School of Engineering at our formation back in 2018/19. Taking on any role such as this, while a new organisation is coming into being, is a huge challenge that brings with it great opportunities but also many barriers to overcome. During his time in this role – which has in recent years shifted into a very successful role-share with Professor Caroline Jay – Ian has led the development of new cross-cutting themes in the School, supported the huge effort to submit our two units of assessment UOA12 (Computer Science) and UOA11 (Engineering) for REF21, formed a new leadership team to support staff and PGRs across the School, created a new fund to support 30 PGR scholarships each year across the School’s research remit and worked tirelessly and constructively to lead the roll out of the Faculty Contribution Model. He’s also starred in a recent MECD video about lab moving!

    There are many many other things beside this that Ian has supported us all with, many of which you will be unaware of even if you have felt the benefit, but his voice, leadership and most strikingly his positive and constructive way of challenging our School Leadership Team to make a meaningful difference, has been very impressive to observe. Ian is now stepping down from this role, and Professor Caroline Jay will take the role on full time – for which we are all very grateful.

    Caroline and Ian have worked as a fantastic team, particularly during some of our most difficult times, and I know Caroline will continue the tremendous work on supporting and leading research across the School to our significant benefit. So, on behalf of our School Leadership Team and everyone who has been impacted by Ian’s work – either knowingly or unknowingly – I just want to say a huge ‘thank you’. Fortunately for us, Ian isn’t going far – and his great work in the High Voltage lab, arguably our most impressive lab in our new Engineering Buildings – will continue apace. He will also continue to lead on the Faculty Contribution Model, as it develops to support a rebalancing of load to help tackle staff welfare across different areas.

    So a huge thank you Ian – please don’t go far!

    Alice & Sarah on behalf of the School of Engineering

    gravatar Graham Richardson

    FSE Outreach Events – Volunteers required

    The FSE outreach team is planning some on-campus schools events in June and July and we are currently looking at recruiting volunteers both staff (both academic and technical) and students.

    Our two themes are:
    Girls in STEM - we're inviting Year 5 girls (10-year-olds) from local priority primary schools to come onto campus for some hands-on activities and to meet our female scientists and engineers. We're looking for 80-minute workshops for groups of up to 25 on 29th June. This could be related to any area of science, engineering, technology or maths, and all genders of workshop leads/volunteers are welcome.

    Y10 Insight Days - we're running three days showcasing Engineering and Material Science for local Year 10s (14 years old), with talks, MECD tours, activities and 'speed networking' to introduce different areas of engineering and materials. We're looking for 60-minute workshops for groups of up to 30 pupils, on 30th June, 6th July, or 7th July.

    The link is here: Workshops for events in summer 2022 (office.com) and all details about the two events are included within the form. The current deadline is 15th April.  Any questions can be directed to fse-outreach@manchester.ac.uk

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Jobs and Internships

    Post Doctoral Positions @ Middle Eastern Technical University

    Multiple Positions available - https://ncc.metu.edu.tr/post-doctoral-positions

    Middle East Technical University, Northern Cyprus Campus, promotes diversity in its hiring, promotion, and development of its personnel and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, marital status or disability.

    Thank  you for your interest in Post-Doctoral  Positions at the
      Middle  East Technical University, Northern Cyprus Campus

    Applications are currently being requested  in the following fields and areas:

    1. Computer Engineering / Computer  Sciences, "Investigation of Analysis and Processing Techniques of Sensor Data for Activity Recognition", prior knowledge and experience in new machine learning trends (such as deep learning), and data science is advantageous.
      For more  information, you can contact:
      Dr. Yeliz Yesilada, Associate Professor, Computer Engineering Department,  yyelizatmetu.edu.tr
      Dr. Enver Ever, Associate Professor, Computer Engineering Department,  eeveratmetu.edu.tr
    2. Computer Engineering / Computer  Sciences, "Agent-Based Simulation - Coherence-Driven Cognitive Agent", prior knowledge and experience in Cognitive Science, Agent-Based Simulation, Social Simulation, Artificial Intelligence, specifically intelligent agents field, and/or Multi Agent Systems is advantageous. In social simulations, including the user social behavioral modeling, the cognitive abilities are the most important properties that an intelligent and social agent must own. Unfortunately, the state-of-the-art autonomous agent architectures (e.g., rule-based systems, utility-based and goal-based agents, etc.) generally are lack of the cognitive abilities. We believe that an agent with these capabilities will significantly improve the user behavioral modeling and social testing.
          
      For more  information, you can contact:
      Dr. Okan Topçu, Associate Professor, Coordinator of Computer Engineering Department,  otopcuatmetu.edu.tr
    3. Electrical-Electronics Engineering/Energy Harvesting Hybrid VLSI Interface Circuits for Autonomous Batteryless Sensor Nodes
      For more information, you  can contact:
      Prof. Dr. Ali Muhtaroglu, Associate Professor, Electrical-Electronics Engineering Program, amuhtaratmetu.edu.tr
       
    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Health and Wellbeing

    New Sick Pay policy starting Sept 2022

    The university, prompted by the UCU GTA network, is making their COVID era GTA sick pay policy permanent:

    From Semester 1 of academic year 2022-23, our current sick pay provision for our Teaching Assistants (TAs) is to be enhanced. This arrangement will align with entitlement that other staff groups at our University benefit from.  

    At present, provision is limited to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) in cases where TAs are eligible. Since September 2020, our University has provided temporary sick pay provision where absence relates to COVID-19.  This temporary provision expires at the end of Semester 2.  

    This change follows our discussion with the University and College Union (UCU), and ensures that our University remains sector-leading in its pay and employment conditions for TAs.

    How exactly this will be operationalized is being worked on but the Department is committed to supporting the health of all staff and students: making it possible and easy for people to stay home when sick is a key mechanism of support both for the ill person and, in the case of infectious disease, their potential contacts.

    You can join the UCU GTA network here.

    gravatar Bijan Parsia

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Wednesday, 16 March 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Research School Irregular

    Surplus hardware - second round

    
    [TL;DR: easy way for you to get rid of junk hardware from your office next week] 
    
    As we’re slowly coming back to work in Kilburn and IT Building, we noticed that many of our offices are cluttered up with hardware. In a first step to unclutter our offices, we ask you to identify any 
    
    Computer base units, desktops, laptops, etc. 
    Monitors Keyboards & Mice 
    USB Disk drives 
    External hard disks & other computer peripherals
    Cables 
     …
    
    that are no longer used: please place them in a heap/free space in your office, put a clear label on it, and send an email to stephen.m.rhodes@manchester.ac.uk *with your office number* - anytime next week! 
    
    Please also encourage your PhD students/PDRAs to do the same (they will also be notified).  
    
    Steve will make sure that these items get re-used and recycled in a meaningful way (e.g., good monitors & keyboards will be stored for new colleagues, computers & drives will get disposed of in a GDPR-compliant way, etc.). 
    
    Thanks for your collaboration, and please stay tuned for next steps in this drive to make our offices nice again! 
    
    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Owning Your Research Project

    Department Library and distribution of its books

    All the books from the dept library are now in the common room and it was announced to students in the MM – so they can go and take what they want.  We have given them a deadline of 28th March after which time we will be disposing of the books.  Hopefully, Manchester College will take a lot of the books left, and any they do not want will be recycled.

    If you would like any of the books then do take them by the 28th March.

    Also if you have books in your office that you wish to donate/recycle – then pop them down to the common room and add them to the tables.

     

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Wider Research Community

    The Research Lifecycle Programme (RLP) want to know how you would invest £20 million

    The Research Lifecycle Programme (RLP) want to know how you would invest £20 million in supporting research activities.

    https://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk/news/display/?id=27762

     

    Sign up to one of the workshops

    1. Tuesday 8 March, 10am – 12noon (on campus)
    2. Thursday 10 March, 2pm – 4pm (online – PGR / Early Career Researcher focused)
    3. Tuesday 15 March, 2.15pm – 4.15pm (on campus)
    4. Thursday 17 March, 10am – 12noon (online)
    5. Tuesday 22 March, 10am – 12noon (online)
    6. Thursday 24 March, 2.15pm – 4.15pm (on campus – PGR / Early Career Researcher focused)
    7. Tuesday 29 March, 2pm – 4pm (on campus)
    8. Thursday 31 March, 10am – 12noon (online)

    Take part in the survey

    1. RLP2 Scoping survey (This should take approximately 10 minutes to complete and closes on Wednesday, 30 March at 5pm)
    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Jobs and Internships

    Student Helpers Required

    Student Helpers Required

    N8 CIR (https://n8cir.org.uk/) are holding a week-long Digital Research Infrastructure Retreat (https://n8cir.org.uk/dri-retreat/) at the Barnes Wallis Conference centre on north campus (https://www.conference.manchester.ac.uk/venues/search/details/?property=13) and require 2 student helpers each day.  Duties will include helping with delegate registration, assisting with delegate queries and any other matters that may arise! 

    Helpers are required at the following times –

    • Mon – 10am – 6pm
    • Tues – Thurs – 8.30am – 6pm
    • Fri – 8.30am – 2pm.

    Helpers will be paid at the University GTA rate commensurate with their experience and lunch and refreshments will be provided.  If you are interested in helping out please email Gillian.sinclair@manchester.ac.uk with the days that you are available before the 23rd March.

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Health and Wellbeing

    Reminder about Fire Alarm Procedures

    In practice fire evacuations some people have not been following procedure. You must follow instructions associated with fire alarms; it is for your own safety and it is grossly irresponsible to assume it is a practice; you put your own safety, as well as that of others, at risk.

    1. An intermittent fire alarm means you must prepare to evacuate the building.
    2. A continuous fire alarm means you must evacuate the building.

    You must familiarise yourselves with these procedures as well as evacuation routes and assembly points.

    gravatar Simon Harper

    gravatar Simon Harper
  • Research School Irregular

    Published: Thursday, 10 March 2022

    A newsletter for PGR

    [ top ]Research School Irregular

    Present your thesis in 3 minutes to first year PGRs

    The Three Minute Thesis competition is an an annual public engagement event wherein people try to condense (at least) 3 years of their life into 3 minutes in such a way that is intelligible to a general audience.

    As part of the revamped COMP81020, in order to give our first year PGRs some concrete orientation in the world of PhD projects, we are giving a 3MT at the start of each session (Fridays at 12:00). This is followed by a 6 minute whingefest discussion of the PhD journey.

    For an example, see Bijan's 3MT and 6MTR.

    Volunteers wanted! You can do this prerecorded or live!

    We are looking for variety. If your thesis or thesis journey are "odd" or "imperfect" so much the better!

    This is open to anyone but might be of special interest to 3 year PGRs as a form of viva prep.

    Please contact Bijan <bijan.parsia@manchester.ac.uk> if you are interested!

    gravatar Bijan Parsia

    [ top ]Owning Your Research Project

    Remote study concession has been extended to the 30th June

    We have now received confirmation that the UKVI covid concession on studying away has been extended meaning you must now return to the UK to continue your studies in person by 30th June 2022

    Any students entering the UK with a student visa are required to attend in person on campus, with a minimum attendance requirement of two face-to-face interactions in any rolling 4-week period.  Therefore, PGRs with a Tier 4/student visa are required to attend their programme in-person, unless they are quarantining, self-isolating, or are unwell, with a minimum of two documented in-person academic contact points (e.g. labs, meetings, seminars).  The UKVI remote study Covid concession has been extended to 30th June 2022.  From this point, all PGRs are required to be in the UK and remote study outside of the UK will no longer be permitted, unless for authorised fieldwork.

    If you have any concerns or issues regarding this, please get in touch immediately. 

    . The Visa Team have updated this page to reflect this change although it doesn’t look like that change has pulled through yet: Student Support | Immigration and Visas | Visa advice for current students during Covid-19 | The University of Manchester

    gravatar Simon Harper

    UKRI is introducing a new Open Access policy which will take effect from 1 April 2022.

    UKRI-funded authors should familiarise themselves with the details of the new policy and what they need to do to in order to comply.  Advice for UKRI-funded authors and full details of the upcoming policy changes are available via the Library website: UKRI’s new Open Access policy 

    You can also watch a presentation detailing the upcoming changes.  

    The Library's Research Services Team will be holding online drop-in clinics from mid-March for anyone with questions about the new policy. Details of upcoming clinics will be shared via the Library webpage linked above in the next few days. 

    gravatar Simon Harper

    [ top ]Seminars and Networks

    Let us know about your study-related travel experiences and we’ll donate to the Proud Trust

    Following a packed calendar of events across the University in February to mark LGBT+ History Month, we are continuing our work to ensure inclusivity for all in the Faculty of Science and Engineering.

    We’ve launched a survey to understand more about the study-related travel experiences of our LGBTQ+ students, to ensure we make opportunities inclusive for those taking part. We’re also keen to understand the experiences of all students undertaking all forms of travel linked to their course and we welcome responses from all equality groups.

    If you have or are planning travel as part of your studies, including for a placement or a field trip, we’d like to hear your views. The survey is anonymous and will take around 15 minutes to complete. Find out more and fill in the survey here.

    We appreciate you taking the time to complete the survey and we’ll donate £1 for every completed survey (up to a maximum of £500), to the Proud Trust, a local charity supporting LGBTQ+ young people.

    gravatar Simon Harper

    gravatar Simon Harper
Generated: Monday, 15 August 2022 02:07:34
Last change: Monday, 01 August 2022 14:22:39