Skip to navigation | Skip to main content | Skip to footer

Undergraduate Year 1 Pages

The First Year Tutors

The year tutors are responsible for the general welfare of all students in the Department of Computer Science, as well as monitoring attendance and academic progression.

If you are experiencing academic or personal problems, thinking of changing or leaving your degree programme, or want to discuss course options etc, then the year tutors are here to offer you help and advice.

We have two year tutors in the first year:

First Year Tutor

Gareth Henshall

Gareth Henshall is the first year tutor for all degree programmes in the department apart from CM.

Tutors are available for an Open Hour once a week when students can visit them in their office.

CM Tutor

Andrea Schalk

Andrea is the year tutor for all students on the CM programmes.

Tutors are available for an Open Hour once a week when students can visit them in their office.

Essential information

Essential information for new first years can be found on the Welcome Week page.

CS UG Facebook group

Tutorial Groups

The tutorial groups are subsets of the laboratory groups (A - CBA/IC, B - CSBM, M - CM, W, X, Y and Z - all single honours degree programmes).

Tutorial groups can be found on the tutorial page.

What if I have problems?

If you are experiencing problems that you feel are affecting your academic performance, then please talk to someone. In the first instance you can talk to your personal tutor, or if you prefer you can talk to a 1st year tutor, or a member of staff from the Student Support Office (SSO). The most important thing to remember is that we are here to help.

The University offers a number of support mechanisms for dealing with problems such as finding accommodation, dealing with harassment, personal counseling and medical advice, these can be accessed via the department's support pages. If you are unsure who you should speak to then the SSO team will be able to provide advice.


Reporting Absence

If you are absent for any reason then it is important that you notify us.

Reporting a short-term absence

If you are absent and have a reason, such as illness, personal problem etc, then please inform someone:

  • for labs and examples classes:
    inform the member of academic staff responsible for the labs/examples class
  • for any prolonged absence up to 5 days:
    inform the Student Support Office of your absence, clearly stating the period of your absence and the reason why, and you will be excused from any missed activities
  • for any prolonged absence greater than 5 days:
    you must report this absence (for your own benefit) by submitting a mitigating circumstances form to SSO, making sure you provide any documentary evidence for for absence.

Reporting a long-term absence or any mitigating circumstances

If you have been ill for an extended period (generally more than 5 days), or you have any personal problem that you feel has affected your studies, or you miss an assessment due an unforeseen reason, then you should complete a mitigating circumstances form and submit it to the Student Support Office, indicating what has been affected and how. You must make sure you provide any documentary evidence, such as Doctor's note, in support of your mitigating circumstances.

The undergraduate handbook describes our mitigating circumstances procedures in detail. You can be rest assured that all information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.


Computer Problems

If you are experiencing problems with the computers, software, etc in the department then in the first instance consult the department Wiki.

If you can not find the answer to your question there then consult the IT services website.

Where can I find the online resources for my course units?

Online resources can be found in a number of places: course unit webpages or Blackboard. In order to help you find the online resources for a particular course unit, please use the syllabus webpage.

Examinations - Hint & Tips